CHESTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Green Lawn Farm,
673 Harvey's Bridge Road,
Embreeville.

Purchased by Mordecai Hayes, Jr. (1780-1847), this property has been in the Hayes family ever since. The little house was built circa 1774 and the big house was built in 1841 by Jacob and Carolien Hayes. Generations of the family have enjoyed summers spent at this pastoral retreat along the west branch of the Brandywine River, as evidenced by anecdotes in the Green Lawn Lyre, printed up periodically by the family since 1910. The home lies within two miles of the British advance on Washington's troops in the Battle of Brandywine (1777) and is a documented stop of the Civil War era "Underground Railroad".

Unionville Academy,
1644 West Doe Run Road (Hwy 82),
Unionville.

The site of the 1905 Hayes Family Bi-Centennial, it is now a private home. Built in 1837, it was the site of a private boarding school, and later used as the Unionville High School. The owners have preserved graffiti carvings, evidence of student mischief long ago. William Mordecai Hayes, organizer of the Bi-Centennial and a former owner of nearby Green Lawn farm, was a student here in 1859.

Henry Hayes homestead,
Scott Road and Embreeville Road,
(Rte. 162).

Long vanished, the Henry Hayes cabin stood near the old stone springhouse located on the land now owned by the Cadwalader family. The land passed from the original Hayes family to Jonathan Jackson who in 1743 married Mary Kirk, the widow of Henry's son Thomas. Henry Hayes and Rachel his wife executed deeds to their sons as follows: Richard,Sept. 2, 1729, 177 acres; William, Sept. 10, 1729, 100 acres; Joseph, same date, 177 acres; Thomas, May 15, 1732, 177 acres and 125 perches; Stephen, Oct. 25, 1736, 177 acres; and James, September 3, 1735, the 384 acres in Fallowfield. They may have conveyed another portion to their remaining son, John, but the deed has not been found. Some land was sold to William Harper, and 177 acres remained in the homestead until Henry's death in 1745.

Hayes A. Clark Bridge,
West Doe Run Road.

Located in the Laurels Preserve and owned by the Brandywine Conservancy, this property is accessed at West Doe Run Road (Rte. 82) and Apple Grove Road. The structure is a 1971 replica of a "Burr Truss" wooden covered-bridge like the original built in 1884 over Doe Run Creek. It is located on land that was included in the original Henry Hayes land patent. Henry handed it down to son James, who passed it down to his son Nathan Hayes (died 1823) who in turn bequeathed it to his nephew Abishia Clark (1770-1843), son of Nathan's sister Hannah Hayes Clark (1747-1814). The last relative who owned the property was Hayes Abishia Clark (1847-1911), when the property was known as "Penn's Woods Farm".

Bradford Meeting House,
1366 Strasburg Road (Rte. 162),
Marshallton.

Established in 1726. Joseph Hayes and Jean Woodward were married here in 1727. They were the parents of Captain Joseph Hayes who migrated to Hamilton County, Ohio in 1791.

Romansville Meeting House,
corner of Strasburg and
Shadyside Roads,
Romansville.

Built in 1846, the Romansville Monthly Meeting has been an integral part of the Mordecai Hayes branch of the family down to the present day. Mordecai was buried here in 1847 and there are eight generations of the family buried on the grounds.

London Grove Meeting House,
500 W Street Road (Rte. 926).

Established in 1714, the present building dates to 1818. The beautiful grounds include an ancient white oak tree that was there during the lifetime of William Penn. Henry's son William married Jane James here in 1707. Grandson Joseph Hayes was a member here until 1761, when "he was denounced for striking John Smith in a passion, and not being willing to confess himself in the wrong". Later known as Captain Hayes for his service in the Revolution, Joseph helped establish a Methodist congregation in Ohio that recently celebrated its 200th anniversary.

Strasburg Road Bridge,
corner of Strasburg Road and
Brandywine Creek Road.

Built in 1826, this historic and scenic bridge crosses the west branch of the Brandywine River. Just east of the bridge, Strasburg Road runs through what was once the farm of Caleb Hayes and Mary Bailey Hayes. He was a grandson of Henry, and brother of Captain Joseph Hayes. Caleb's children all migrated to Ohio except the eldest son, Isaac. His grandson was Dr. Isaac I. Hayes, the arctic explorer.

Kennett Meeting,
1109 East Baltimore Pike (US 1),
near Chadd's Ford Junction.

Established in 1710, this Monthly Meeting is also frequently mentioned in the Hayes family history. Henry's daughter Rachel married William Wickersham here in 1730 and son Thomas was married to Mary Kirk in 1734. The building was used as a hospital during the Battle of Brandywine.

Brandywine Battlefield Park,
highway U.S. 1 in Chadd's Ford.

The largest land engagement of the Revolutionary War was fought here on September 11, 1777. Washington and 11,000 "Continentals" were defeated by almost 18,000 British forces headed by General Howe. The night-time British advance from Kennett Square to Trimble's Ford passed within a mile of Unionville and Hayes family property.

Copyright © 2007 The Hayes Family Website Design by Oksana Yatsiv